Full time nursery worker immediate start
Glendoick Gardens Perth PH2 6NS
Glendoick Gardens started in 1953 and is a world famous rhododendron and azalea specialist nursery sending plants to gardens and collections all over Europe. Peter and Kenneth Cox have introduced many species from the wild and bred many new rhododendron and azalea varieties.
Experience and Qualification Requirements
- Horticultural training and/or experience
- Driving Licence and car to get to Glendoick
- PA 1 and PA6 spraying certificate
Job Description: Principal Nursery Tasks
- Lifting and packing plants for sale.
- Watering, feeding and spraying growing stock.
- Propagation: cuttings (preparation and planting), transplanting of cuttings, seedlings.
- Making up nursery beds, planting out stock,
- Potting stock into larger containers,
- Occasional deliveries and stocking the garden centre
- General gardening and maintenance, construction and running machinery.
The position is based on a 40 hour week 7.45-4.15pm Monday-Friday for most of the year, with 13 weeks in winter at 35 hours per week (8.30-4pm) paid under the stable wages arrangement at the same weekly payrate year round.
There is a 1/2 hour lunch break.
Wages are paid 4 weekly in arrears. There is occasional (every 4-5 weeks) weekend watering in summer.
All positions at Glendoick are for a 3 month trial period after which either party may decide to discontinue the employment.
Full time annual holiday rates are 25 days plus 4 statutory days. At the nursery, we normally do not allow week-long holidays to be taken in March or October as these are our busiest months. Holidays can be booked at the start of the year but only one member of staff can normally be off at a time, to ensure the smooth running of the nursery.
E mail email@example.com for an application form
General Assistant responsible for stores, forklift, pallet truck & maintenance
Full time, permanent post. 5 days from 7
As a senior member of the Garden Centre Team, you will work closely with other team members to ensure the safe, efficient and effective running of Glendoick Garden Centre.
Your responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to:
• To deliver customer orders of plants and goods in accordance with organisational procedure
• To serve customers promptly and politely and make the most of sales opportunities
• To take customers to the department should they enquire about any product.
Responsibility for Section
• To operate and maintain the forklift and pallet truck to comply with all health & safety requirements and to report any maintenance issues to ensure they are kept in good repair.
• To maintain the garden centre stores, car parks and surrounding areas including Sandyhall to ensure that they are clean and tidy at all times and comply with health and safety requirements.
• To receive deliveries and be the first point of contact for these. To ensure that deliveries are transported safely to their storage area and that they are stored in such a way to maintain their value, are secured to prevent loss/theft and do not pose a hazard within the garden centre.
• To spray the Garden Centre areas as required to keep control of funguses, pests & insects
• To maintain the Glendoick site, and carry out general repairs.
• To ensure that skip and rubbish areas for the garden centre are maintained in such a way to comply with requirements for disposal of waste and to minimise risk from hazards such as fire/vermin.
• To assist in the stock control of retail areas such as compost, pots & furniture to ensure re-stocking as required.
• To keep clean and tidy the section under your responsibility and all other areas in which you are working. This includes fixtures, fittings etc..
• To supervise any staff under you to ensure their health and safety whilst carrying out tasks as directed by you.
• To maintain tight stock control and help carry out regular stock takes to aid operational planning.
Health & Safety
• To follow the appropriate health & safety systems and procedures at all times.
• To work with colleagues and look for opportunities where you can help out.
• To inform managers of any customer complaints/comments or of any accidents and incidents as soon as possible.
At all times you are expected to work as part of a team and be prepared to help out in a willing and positive manner.
All staff are expected to work on the tills and to help out in all departments as required.
Glendoick encourages innovation, and ideas on how to develop your section are welcomed.
Preferably holder of industry approved fork lift truck certificate
Preferably holder of spraying certificate
Experience of warehouse duties or similar (stock receiving, stock take etc.)
Ability to plan and organise workload
Experience in health, safety and security of the workplace
Demonstrable interpersonal skills: communication with colleagues & customers in a positive way.
Experience in motivating a team to develop trust and support from colleagues and team members
Clean driving licence
To apply e-mail your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
No evening work.
The Garden Centre is closed 25 & 26 December and 1st & 2nd January
30%discount in the cafe on commencement of employment and 30% off in the garden centre after one years service (10% on perishables in the food hall).
Access to reduced membership of Live Active Leisure facilities through our corporate membership.
28 days pro-rata holiday entitlement.
Soup or sandwich lunch included when working 7 hours or more.
The X7 bus stops at Glendoick on an hourly service between Dundee and Perth (this service is more limited on a Sunday)
If you would like your name added to our waiting list for opportunities that may arise in the café or garden centre (you must be 16 years of age or over) then please send or e-mail a current CV with full details of the type of work you would like to be considered for, your previous experience (if any) as well as your name, address and contact details to Heather Borderie, Operations Director.
Applicants will be asked to fill in an application form.